The Department of Athletics at Sam Houston State University is committed to the concept that intercollegiate athletics is an integral part of the University’s educational enterprise. Athletics encompasses nine women’s sports and seven men’s sports competing at the NCAA Division I level. The women’s sports include: basketball, golf, softball, tennis, cross country, indoor track, outdoor track, soccer and volleyball. The men’s sports include: baseball, basketball, football, golf, cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track.

Sam Houston State University is one of 12 schools competing in the Southland Conference. The current membership, with offices located in Frisco, TX, consists of: Central Arkansas University, Lamar University, McNeese State University, Northwestern State University, Nicholls State University, Sam Houston State University, Southeastern Louisiana University, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, University of Texas at Arlington, University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas State University-San Marcos.

The Bearkat teams enjoy excellent facilities, including Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum (basketball and volleyball), Bowers Stadium (football), the York Track and Field Events Center (track and field), Don Sanders Stadium (baseball), Bearkat Softball Complex (softball), and the McAdams Tennis Center (women’s tennis). Admission to all home athletic events is one of the activities covered by the Student Service Fee paid by Sam Houston State University students upon enrollment, and all students are encouraged to attend as many athletic events as they wish. SHSU athletic fans enjoy the excitement of collegiate athletics surrounded by the enthusiastic school spirit that adds to the fun and friendly competition with counterparts in the Southland Conference. Visit the Department of Athletics website at

Bearkat OneCard Services

The Bearkat OneCard is the official ID card of Sam Houston State University and signifies a student’s status as an active member of the Sam Houston State University community. The OneCard is an innovative, all-in-one student ID and has been designed to be an efficient, multi-purpose card which provides students easy access to university facilities and services. The card can also double as a debit card connected to the OneAccount, a fully functional FDIC-insured FREE checking account. As a MasterCard Debit Card, NOT A CREDIT CARD, the Bearkat OneCard can be used for purchases at million of merchants around the world.

An active Bearkat OneCard is used for SHSU Library Card, parking garage access (OneAccount), applying Financial Aid, managing financial aid and other refund preferences, access to the Health and Kinesiology Center and Raven’s Nest Golf Course, debit card for the Bearkat OneAccount, Bearkat Express access, meal plan access, and residence hall parameter access.

The Bearkat OneCard serves as the vehicle by which a student chooses the manner financial disbursements from the university are received. Preferences may be set when activating the Bearkat OneCard on-line. Students have the option of (1) sending disbursements to the OneAccount, which is the fastest delivery method; (2) sending disbursements directly to a third party bank of choice through ACH processing (federal banking procedures requires two to three business days for processing); and (3) utilizing a paper check, which is mailed from Connecticut, and can take up to 7 to 10 business days for mailing.

To obtain your Bearkat OneCard you must:

When these steps have been completed, your Bearkat OneCard will be mailed to your address of record. Upon receipt, the OneCard must be activated at for on campus usage. At the time of activation a student can choose to activate the optional, free FDIC-insured, no minimum balance checking account. This debit/checking account has been carefully designated with the needs of students in mind.

The Bearkat OneCard Services staff provides assistance in taking ID photos, activating cards, configuring options, and providing information related to refund disbursements to students. For more information, please call (936) 294-2273 or visit onecard.

Career Services

The Career Services staff assists students and graduates of Sam Houston State University in their search for employment ideally suited to their interests, skills, academic preparation and personal aspirations.

Numerous programs and services are offered which provide opportunities for students of all majors to learn about careers and to meet with employers. Specific services include: on-campus interviews, resume referrals to employers, web-based registration and resume service, job vacancy announcements and listings, practice interviews and individual career advising. Resume writing, interviewing skills, and the process of searching for a job are taught through regularly scheduled workshops as well as by individual appointment. The Career Services office sponsors special events such as Teacher Job Fairs (fall and spring semesters), the Career Expo, and the Summer Job and Camp Fair. SHSU Career Services also participates in area career fairs, such as the Texas Job Fair held each spring in Houston, Texas.

The Dow Career Resource Library contains many resources to assist students in learning about careers and in finding internships, summer jobs, and professional employment. Printed materials such as employer information for new college graduates, information and applications from area school districts, job market information and applications for federal and state governmental positions, and materials on summer camps and internships are available. Numerous video tapes and books also provide information on job searching skills and specific employers. Internet (job search) access is also available through designated computers in the Career Services Library.

The Career Services staff also provides many free materials such as career magazines, brochures, literature from employers, and handouts on career-related topics. Career Services is located at the corner of Avenue J and Bearkat Boulevard, and is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Further information may be obtained by calling (936) 294-1713 or by visiting

Continuing Education

Continuing Education offers non-credit courses for personal and professional development. Courses include mediation, introduction to various computer software, art, stress reduction, country and western dance, ballroom dance, yoga, cake decorating, and much more. For more information, telephone (936) 294-3701 or visit the website at

Counseling Center Counseling Services

Professional counseling services are available to students in the Counseling Center, North Annex of the Lee Drain Building. Individual or group counseling is available for personal, educational, or vocational concerns. Students can receive help in choosing a major, stress management, study skills, and test anxiety. They can work on a range of personal concerns including alcohol abuse, eating disorders, or physical or sexual abuse. Services are also available for international students who may seek support in adjusting to life at an American university. Students are encouraged to utilize any of these free, confidential services. To make an appointment, stop by or call (936) 294- 1720. The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Visit the Counseling Center website at

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

SSD is located in the Counseling Center and provides accommodations counseling and adaptive technology for students with disabilities. Students seeking academic accommodations need to provide appropriate documentation verifying their disability. Please see Service and Documentation Guidelines Brochure for documentation requirements and procedures for receiving accommodations. Adaptive technology available includes Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), computer work stations with large print and speech output capabilities, and FM amplifying devices. Students may also request registration assistance by calling the Registrar’s Office (936) 294-1040 or may request admissions information by calling the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (936) 294-1828.

Telecommunication Device for the Deaf (TDD)

TDD locations are as follows with corresponding telephone numbers:

Dean of Students’ Office: (936) 294-3785
Counseling Center and Services for Students with Disabilities: (936) 294-3786
University Police: (936) 294-3787
Office of Undergraduate Admissions: (936) 294-3788
Registrar’s Office: (936) 294-3789

Dean of Students’ Office

Through leadership, program, and policy development, the Dean of Students’ Office contributes to the overall intellectual, social, and personal development of the students. The Dean of Students’ Office represents student needs to the University administration, faculty, and departments and also transmits needs of these groups to the students. This office assists students who have questions about any phase of campus life. In an effort to promote individual group development of students, the office co-sponsors educational programs and leadership development workshops.

The professional staff is responsible for the administration of a number of policies and procedures found in Student Guidelines, the student handbook. These include student conduct and judicial processes, and certain provisions of the Family Rights and Privacy Act. In addition, the office is responsible for Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges; the Freshman Leadership Program; Orange Keys Program; Faculty/Student Mentor Program (FLASH); Faculty/Staff Recognition Program; University Parking Appeals; Alpha Lambda Delta, a freshman Honor society; advising the Parents’ Association; advising Student Government Association and the Assessment Program within the Student Services Division.

The Dean of Students’ Office is located in the Lowman Student Center Suite #215, telephone (936) 294-1785. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday and other times by appointment. Website:

General Conduct and Campus Regulations

It is expected that all Sam Houston State University students are on campus for serious educational pursuits and that they will conduct themselves so as to preserve an appropriate atmosphere of learning. It is also expected that all students who enroll at Sam Houston State University agree to assume the responsibilities of citizenship in the campus community. While enrolled, students are subject to University authority, which includes the prerogative of dismissing those whose conduct is not within the aims and policies of the University. Students are responsible for abiding by all published University rules and regulations as printed in this catalog, in the student handbook, Student Guidelines, and in other official University publications. Failure to read these publications will not excuse the student from the requirements and regulations described therein. In addition, students should be familiar with House Bill 141 of the 61st Legislature on Disruptive Activities and Senate Bill 24 of the 70th Legislature on Hazing, extracts of which can be found in Student Guidelines.

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association exists for the sole purpose of serving the student community. It is the political voice and liaison for the student body. The University recognizes the need and worthwhile contribution of student input in all facets of the University decision-making processes. The Student Government Association has long been active in this regard and has worked for the betterment of student life and academic quality. The student body participates in the development and management of a well-rounded program of student activities by electing the Student Government Association officers and Student Senators. Each college within the University elects its representatives, the number being determined by the percentage of students majoring in the academic departments within the academic college.

Open meetings are conducted each Tuesday night. Students are encouraged to participate in their student government. Copies of the Student Government Association constitution and other information may be obtained from the Student Government Association Office, which is located in the Lowman Student Center Suite #326. Please call (936) 294-1938 for additional information.

Health Center

The Student Health Center, located at the corner of Avenue J and Bearkat Boulevard, provides comprehensive routine health services and education to all currently enrolled students. The Health Center is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Patients may schedule appointments in person, or by phone up to one day in advance. The Health Center is equipped with an in-house pharmacy and laboratory providing convenient and affordable access to routine healthcare services.

The cost of office visits are covered by the Medical Service Fee paid at the time of registration. Modest fees are charged for laboratory tests, prescription drugs and certain procedures. These charges are due when services are rendered. However, most of these charges are at discount rates that are well below market value.

In addition to medical treatment, the Health Center offers health education, prevention programs, and general health information. Students with questions about any health issue are encouraged to contact the Health Center.

In the case of medical emergencies, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) should be called (911). Persons experiencing a serious or potentially life threatening medical condition should seek medical attention at Huntsville Memorial Hospital.

Information regarding student health insurance is available through the Health Center. The student policy is required for international students unless clear proof of equivalent insurance coverage is provided and is recommended for all other students. Please visit the Health Center’s website at or call (936) 294-1805 for more information.

Human Resources

The Human Resources Department provides services in the areas of: employee benefits, employee relations, staffing, records, staff wage and salary administration, equal employment opportunity/affirmative action, civil rights compliance, risk management, and employee development/training. It is University policy that all human resources functions be conducted in a fair and equitable manner without discrimination toward any protected class under state and federal civil rights laws and regulations.

The Human Resources Department is located in the Estill Building, Room 334. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The telephone number is (936) 294-1070. For current staff job openings, call the Job Information Line at (936) 294-1067. Job openings for faculty and staff positions can be accessed on the Human Resources website:

Student Employment

Information about student job opportunities and applications for student employment may be obtained from Career Services located at the corner of Avenue J and Bearkat Boulevard. Career Services is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The telephone number is (936) 294-1713.

International Programs, Office of

The Office of International Programs (OIP) promotes, fosters, encourages, and coordinates international activities at Sam Houston State University. Such activities include the recruitment and retention of international students, the administration of study abroad programs for SHSU faculty and students, and assistance to international visitors to the campus. The Office also publishes a newsletter informing students and faculty of grant opportunities, deadlines, and events of special interest.

OIP is active in the recruitment of international students to the University. Its staff handles visa procedures for all international students. The Office serves as a primary contact for international students when they first apply and continues to serve in that capacity throughout their stay at the University.

Sam Houston State University offers opportunities for study in exchange programs around the world. Its own faculty members have led programs in recent years in countries such as Italy, France, Russia, England, Mexico, China, Spain, and Poland. In addition, the University is a member of the Texas Consortium for Study Abroad, which has an agreement with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS). Students at the University can participate in any study abroad program organized by AIFS.

Visit or call the Office of International Programs in Farrington Bldg., Room 116; telephone (936) 294-3892. Information is available at the website Mail address: International Programs, Sam Houston State University, Farrington Building 116, Box 2150, Huntsville, TX 77341-2150.

Maintaining F-1 Student Visa Status

-U.S. Government Requirements for All F-1 Students-

Maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future.

Only attend the school listed on your current and stamped I-20. To attend another school, you must transfer to that school (obtain approval on a new I-20) or receive a concurrent enrollment letter from an International Student Advisor.

Complete an I-20 transfer whenever you change schools. An I-20 transfer (not the same as transferring academic credit) must be completed within 30 days of the beginning of classes of the first semester at the new school. An I-20 transfer is not complete until an International Student Advisor from the International Office processes your new I-20 through the USCIS Database.

Be a full-time student each long semester. You must complete (not just register for) a full course load each long semester. To maintain your F-1 student visa status, undergraduate students must complete at least 12 hours and graduate students must complete at least 9 hours each long semester. Note: Some degree programs may require more hours for academic reasons. Check with your department. You are not required by USCIS to enroll in classes during the summer session, unless summer is your first semester in the U.S. If you need to drop below full-time hours, make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor BEFORE taking any action.

Apply for an extension of your I-20 thirty days before the expiration date. The extension can only be applied for at the Office of International Programs within the 30-day period before the expiration date.

Obtain a new I-20 whenever you make a change in degree levels or majors. This includes changing levels at the same school or a new one (e.g., bachelor’s to master’s degree) or beginning a new degree at the same level (e.g., master’s degree to a 2nd master’s).

Never work off-campus unless you have current authorization from an International Student Advisor and the USCIS. You must either have an employment authorization stamp from our office on page 4 of your I-20 or an employment authorization card from the INS. All off-campus employment has a beginning and ending date. Renewals must be done before resuming work. If you work even one day before or after your authorization, you are in danger of being removed from the U.S. On-campus work does not require specific authorization, but you must maintain your full-time student status to be authorized. On-campus work is limited to 20 hours or less per week during the fall and spring and may be full-time during the summer if you do not take summer classes.

Obtain a travel endorsement on the back of your I-20 before leaving the U.S. This will be needed if you want to reenter the U.S.

Willful failure to maintain health insurance at the required level will be considered a violation of status.

A student may apply for Optional Practical Training up to 90 days prior to graduation. (Contact the Office of International Programs to schedule an appointment and to obtain instruction.)

Maintain a current address with the Office of International Programs and the USCIS at all times while you are on the I-20 of SHSU. Therefore, update your address with the Office of International Programs every time you change addresses.

USCIS: Change of Address (08-28-02)

Any alien [nonimmigrant international] in the U.S. is required to report his or her address to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within ten (10) days of the change of address. You may report your change of address to the Office of International Programs. The office will make the change in the government’s online database, as well as in the SHSU database.

Lowman Student Center

The Lowman Student Center (LSC), conveniently located at the center of campus, offers several dining options and a variety of meeting facilities and services. The University Bookstore is located on the second floor, along with the Art Gallery and Information Center. The LSC also houses the Kat Klub Entertainment Center, a spacious ballroom, theater, and fifteen conference rooms. The LSC provides wireless computer access, as well as computer work stations on the first and second floors. An ATM and copy machine are located on the first floor. Students may consider joining one of the many organizations that meet in the Lowman Student Center. By getting involved and connected, students gain the opportunity to meet other students with similar interests, make new friends, gain valuable leadership experiences, and make better grades.

For additional information, contact the Lowman Student Center staff at (936)294-1759 or visit our website at

Office of the Vice President for Student Services

The Office of the Vice President for Student Services provides administrative leadership, supervision, and coordination for the Division of Student Services. The division includes the following departments: Bearkat OneCard Services; Counseling and SSD Services, which includes disabled student services; Dean of Students’ Office; Health Center; Lowman Student Center; Student Activities; Recreational Sports and Activities; and Students’ Legal and Mediation Services. Visit the website at

Public Safety Services

University Police

University Police Officers are licensed peace officers as defined under the laws of the State of Texas and thereby have the authority as peace officers. Their primary jurisdiction, under H.B. 391, includes all counties in which property is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise under the control of Sam Houston State University.

The University Police Officers subscribe to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, a portion of which reads, “As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all citizens to liberty, equality, and justice.” In this endeavor, the University Police earnestly solicit the support of the faculty, staff and students. Many officers are students thus providing a balance within Public Safety Services from a student’s perspective.

In addition to University regulations, all the general and criminal laws of the State and the United States are declared to be in full force and effect within the properties of Sam Houston State University. All persons are responsible for compliance with these laws.

All thefts, vehicle accidents, or other offenses that occur on campus should be reported immediately to the University Police. The University Police Building is located at 2424 Sam Houston Avenue (Sam South Complex) — Telephone Number (936) 294-1794. Police Officers are on duty 24 hours every day. The Business Office hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. Visit the website at

Campus Safety

Sam Houston State University offers a variety of services to promote a safe campus environment. The campus is equipped with emergency call boxes stationed at strategic locations throughout the campus to include parking lots, walkways, and residence halls. Additionally, the University Police provide staff to escort students not wishing to walk alone at night to and from campus buildings and parking lots. Students wishing to learn more about personal safety and self defense may take advantage of programs offered by the University Police Department. For more information call (936) 294-1794.

Parking Permits

Students, full or part-time, who operate or expect to operate a motor vehicle, motor cycle, or motor assisted cycle on University property, regularly or occasionally, are REQUIRED to register the vehicle with the Department of Public Safety Services and obtain a parking decal assigning a designated color area for parking. The University reserves the right to require proof of ownership of the vehicle being registered. Parking and Traffic Regulations and Information governing the operation of motor vehicles is issued with each parking permit and is available in administrative offices. Failure to read the regulations is not an excuse for failure to comply with the regulations.

Recreational Sports and Activities

The Department of Recreational Sports offers broad-based recreational programming in the areas of Intramural Sports, Open Recreation, Aquatics, Club Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Wellness, and Special Events. Facilities managed by the Department of Recreational Sports include the Health and Kinesiology Center; which houses four basketball courts, a 1/8-mile indoor running track, ten racquetball courts, a new state of the art 10,000 sq./ft. weight room, eight outdoor tennis courts, two outdoor sand volleyball courts, the Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum, an outdoor heated swimming pool, and three multi-purpose fields. In addition, the department is responsible for the Pritchett Field Complex which includes two multi-purpose fields and an outdoor running track.

The Intramural Program offers a variety of team, dual, and individual sports. Leagues are offered that are both competitive as well as recreational in three divisions — men’s, women’s and co-recreational. The Informal Recreational Program is designed to offer opportunities in self-directed recreational pursuits. Informal “free play” is an ideal alternative for those not interested in team affiliation. The Outdoor Recreation Program offers an extensive outdoor recreation rental program (tents, canoes, etc.) and trip program (backpacking the Big Bend or skiing in Colorado are examples). The Outdoor Program also began construction of the New “Bearkat Ranch” a 345 acre camp that will be a hub for fun and recreation. The camp plans include a meeting house, primitive and cabin camping, softball and soccer fields, boat launches and a crystal lake. The Club Sports program accommodates individuals who have an interest in competitive sports such as soccer, volleyball, and rugby. Clubs are comprised of both competitive and non-competitive sections for each activity. The Wellness Program offers a wide variety of interactive programs promoting a positive personal lifestyle. The department also offers special events such as sports trivia bowl competition, Midnight Mayhem, Finals Relief, and Raven Run. Numerous employment opportunities for students who are interested in part-time work are available. Over 300 student positions are filled annually in the areas of Intramural Officiating, Facility Supervision, Aquatics, Wellness, Outdoor Recreation and Special Events.

The informal relationships which are established through involvement in sport and recreational activities are an integral part of a student’s life. The Department of Recreational Sports invites students to become active participants in one or more of the various forms of activities available. For more information stop by the administrative offices located in the Health and Kinesiology building, room 162 or call (936) 294-1985 or visit the Recreational Sports website at

Residence Life

Residence Halls

The University operates over thirty residence halls, small houses, and apartment complexes, including a small house (capacity 30 residents) for juniors, seniors, graduates, and nontraditional students (24 years of age or older) and one honors house. A brochure which includes complete details of the housing program at Sam Houston, including information regarding specific residence halls, applicable rates, and policies, is available upon request from the Department of Residence Life, Box 2416, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas 77341. Additional information may be obtained by calling the Department of Residence Life at (936) 294-1812.

A student is required to be enrolled in the University each semester, including summer, in order to reside in university housing.

A housing application/contract form is available online from for those students who have been accepted to the University. A room deposit of $200 is required with the application for housing. Assignments are made on a space-available basis according to the date of deposit. Prior to the beginning of a semester, the student will be mailed information regarding the appropriate arrival and check-in hours, as well as other information. The contract will be in effect and must be adhered to for the academic year.

Should you become unable to fulfill your reservation, refunds may be made under certain conditions. Please refer to the terms and conditions of the contract for specific details regarding refunds which are determined by the dates cancellations are received.

Payment for housing may be made in full at registration, or in three installments. The balance of rent or one-half of the balance is due during academic registration. Additional installments are due prior to the sixth and eleventh class weeks. Rent for summer terms is due in full at academic registration, and a late fee of $10 is charged on all payments received after established deadlines.

University residence halls are closed during the holidays of Thanksgiving and winter break, and during spring break.

Sam Houston State University Bearkat Village I and II Apartments

The University maintains two-bedroom, fully furnished apartments located on Bowers Blvd. across from Bowers Stadium, for upperclassmen. All residents must be enrolled in the University while residing in the apartments.

Food Services

The Department of Residence Life currently provides four meal plans. Payment for meal plans may be made in full at registration or in three installments. The installments are one-half at registration and the balance in two equal payments prior to the sixth and eleventh class week, respectively. Also available is the Bearkat Express plan which may be opened upon payment of an initial deposit with meal charges deducted as usage occurs. Money deposited into Bearkat Express account is nonrefundable.

All students are encouraged to take advantage of meal plans. Meal service begins the day the residence halls open and continues through final examinations. ARAMARK manages the campus food service and offers Café Belvin plus several other campus dining facilities. Rates and detailed information may be obtained from the Department of Residence Life, Box 2416, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas 77341, or by calling (936) 294-1812. See our website at

Summer Housing and Food Services

Summer accommodations vary from year to year because of renovation and maintenance schedules. Rooms in large residence halls and small houses for single students usually are open for summer school students. Assignments are made according to date of deposit.

The Bearkat Express plan is also available during summer sessions. Additional information concerning the summer food plan may be obtained from the Department of Residence Life.

Safety Office

The University Safety Office is responsible for administering safety programs designed to assure a safe and healthful campus environment for all students, faculty, and staff. These programs include fire, health, and occupational safety, as well as safety audits and investigations of any unsafe conditions or safety hazards reported within the campus community. Any person noting a safety hazard on the University campus is urged to report the condition to the Safety Coordinator as soon as possible, telephone (936) 294-1921. The Safety Office is located in the Sam South Complex, Building B, 2424 Sam Houston Avenue.

Sam Houston Memorial Museum

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum, established in 1936 as a Texas centennial project, is an integral part of Sam Houston State University and is dedicated to preserving the memory of General Sam Houston (1793-1863). A soldier, statesman and politician, the only man to serve as governor of two states and president of an independent republic, Sam Houston led the fight for Texas’ independence and then served Texas as President, U.S. Senator, and Governor. Located on fifteen acres, the museum complex preserves three fully furnished original Houston buildings — Woodland Home, Steamboat House, and Law Office — as well as a kitchen, blacksmith shop and other exhibit structures. The Memorial Museum Building houses the major collection of Houston memorabilia and exhibits. The Katy & E. Don Walker, Sr. Education Center is named for a distinguished alumnus of Sam Houston State University and his wife, and provides auditorium, classroom and meeting spaces, as well as a gallery for traveling exhibits and ‘Wigwam Neosho’ — the museum store and gift shop. The museum offers many educational opportunities for Sam Houston State University students. These include semester-length internships, part-time student employment, tours, and research and writing programs using archives, manuscripts and artifacts.

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums. Accreditation certifies that a museum operates according to standards set forth by the museum profession, manages its collections responsibly and provides quality services of museum visitors.

The museum complex is located at the corner of Sam Houston Avenue and 19th Street, and can be reached by calling (936) 294-1832; or by visiting the website at

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center is the University’s in-house printing and copying facility. It provides year-round service for students, faculty, and staff of Sam Houston State University. All types of copying, binding, fax services, and printing services are offered to students and student organizations.

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center is located on the first floor of the Thomason Building. The facility is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For information or to arrange an appointment for placing an order, call (936) 294-1856.

Student Activities

The Department of Student Activities provides leadership and advisement to Program Council, approximately 230 student organizations, Orange Pride Dance Team, cheerleaders, mascots, fraternities, sororities, multicultural and international student services and volunteer services. The department, located in the Lowman Student Center, offers quality programs and services that embrace a student development philosophy and provides an environment conducive to learning through involvement in co-curricular activities. Campus leadership training programs for student groups, University-wide student programs, and the University’s master calendar of activities are included in the department’s responsibilities.

Multicultural and International Student Services

The Office of Multicultural and International Student Services is committed to providing students with a variety of cross cultural experiences. The office assists all facets of the University in matters dealing with diversity, international and cultural issues. Students, faculty and staff who participate in the programs offered have the opportunity to experience mentoring, retention and leadership development programs enhanced by cultural understanding. The Office of Multicultural and International Student Services contributes to the University’s diverse nature by providing information relative to the ethnic and international population and provides a means to encourage and support the ethnic and international student body in meeting their particular needs and concerns.

Program Council

Many opportunities for personal involvement and professional experience, on a volunteer basis, are available to students through Program Council, which is the student programming board that creates and sponsors many entertainment events and activities on campus. Program Council receives a portion of Student Services fees to provide campus films, concerts, lectures, cultural events, comedians and many more opportunities for fun, recreation and relaxation. Membership is open to any student interested in the opportunity to develop leadership skills, participate in presenting campus programs and meet other students with similar interests. Distinguished speakers, top quality performing artists and cultural events provide co-curricular and informal education experiences in an effort to make free-time activities a cooperative factor in education.

Student Organizations

A variety of student organizations provide University students with an opportunity to become involved in campus life. Information regarding University-recognized organizations is available from the Department of Student Activities in the Lowman Student Center. University recognition is renewed each fall and spring semester; therefore, the listings are subject to change.

Student Services

The role of the Division of Student Services is to complement the total educational mission of the University by providing opportunities for students to develop and grow in an academic environment. This is accomplished by offering quality programs and emphasizes that holistic approach in co-curriculum involvement. Studies indicate that learning occurs in an environment conducive to social, recreational, educational, and intellectual interaction. A variety of student service programs are designed to foster such interaction with students, faculty, staff, and the University community. The goal of the division is to contribute to the learning experiences of SHSU students, helping them to become educated, enlightened, and empowered in ways that they can achieve and contribute as productive citizens in their college, community, and country.

Students’ Legal and Mediation Services

The Students’ Legal Services office is located in the Counseling Center (North Annex of the Lee Drain Building). The Student’s Legal Advisor has scheduled hours that allow students with various schedules to easily obtain an appointment by calling (936) 294-1717. Brochures concerning specific legal issues are also available for registered students.

The advisor often helps students with legal problems by guiding them through self-help procedures and providing written materials concerning their legal issues. By guiding the student through the procedures required in administrative and judicial proceedings, it is anticipated that the student will be able to effectively deal with these problems currently and in the future. However, when the problem is of such a nature that legal representation is immediately needed, referral to several practicing attorneys in that area of law is made.

All matters between the Students’ Legal Advisor and the student are confidential. Some areas of student concern are landlord/tenant issues, consumer protection, insurance, crime, family law, traffic tickets, automobile accidents, and employee rights.

University Advancement

The University Advancement Division is responsible for enhancing the visibility and image of Sam Houston State University. The primary goal is to attract significant private support and, in the process, create a growing awareness of the University’s quality by prospective students and their parents. The division seeks to achieve its goal through a range of comprehensive activities that will build strengthened relationships between the University and its various publics and to present a compelling case for involvement with and support of SHSU.

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum development, alumni relations, public relations, marketing, and advancement services comprise the advancement division. In discharging its responsibilities, the division conducts the following programs: publications, alumni affairs, media and public relations, web-based communications, marketing, annual giving, major gifts, planned gifts, and donor relations.

The University must increasingly rely on gifts from its alumni, friends, and parents to bridge the gap between what tuition, fees, and state support provide and what is necessary to fund first-rate programs. To this end, the University has launched its first ever capital campaign, with a goal of $50 million.

For additional information about supporting the University through an annual, capital, or planned gift, please contact the division at (936) 294-3625 or Box 2537, Huntsville, TX 77341-2537. Donors wishing to make a gift with a credit card can go online at

Alumni Association

The Office of Alumni Relations is a vibrant and growing part of the University Advancement Division and provides the support and direction for the Alumni Association. The alumni program is an important part of an integrated advancement effort to inform and engage graduates and former students with the University.

The Alumni Association exists to support and promote the University, and it represents the interests of over 70,000 alumni. The Association’s programs and activities are developed and planned in consultation with an alumni board of directors. The Association sponsors distinguished alumni and alumni service awards programs, homecoming, tailgate parties, a SHSU Alumni Association credit card, area alumni gatherings, newsletters, scholarships, student programs, merchandising, and the official class ring program.

Membership is open to all graduates, former students and friends of Sam Houston State University. For additional information, please call (936) 294-1841 or visit the Alumni Association on the web at

Public Relations

The Office of Public Relations is a significant component of the University Advancement Division, fostering communications and understanding between the university and a range of internal and external constituencies, including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends. As the primary conduit for information with media outlets throughout the state and nation, the Office produces and distributes news releases and articles, highlighting the quality of the University’s faculty, students, projects, and programs. The office maintains a comprehensive list of faculty and staff experts, participates in the ProfNet media query service and, in doing so, is able to provide valuable assistance to local and national media on a broad range of timely topics and news events.

The Public Relations Office also maintains a strong presence on the Web, which includes news releases, a campus calendar, a listing of campus experts, historical information on the University and General Sam Houston, and the electronic newsletter Today@Sam. For more information, please call (936) 294-1836 or visit Public Relations on the Web at

University Hotel

The University Hotel and the George J. Beto Conference Center are conveniently located on the North East corner of campus at Bearkat Boulevard and Bobby K. Marks Drive. The University Hotel offers meeting space, dining accommodations, exercise equipment, and 89 comfortably furnished guest rooms. SSD accessible rooms are available upon request. Children 18 years of age and under stay free with parents in the same room. All rooms have two double beds. For additional information or to make reservations, please call (936) 291-2151, (800) 747-8466, or fax (936) 294-1683. Website: