Sam Houston State University is a member of the Southland Conference and competes in 16 sports at the NCAA Division I level.  Men’s intercollegiate sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, indoor track & field, and outdoor track & field.  Women’s sports include basketball, cross country, golf, indoor track & field, outdoor track & field, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball. Currently the department is in the process of adding women’s bowling as the 17th sport offered at the University.

In the 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 seasons, the Bearkat athletic program ranked as the best in the Southland Conference, winning the SLC Commissioner’s Cup all-sports trophy each season. Sam Houston State University is the first university to accomplish this feat.  At the same time, the Bearkats have placed more individuals on the Southland Conference Commissioner’s Honor Roll (student-athletes with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better) than any other league member.

Highlighting the Bearkats’ success on the playing field in recent years have been Southland Conference championships in seven sports including football (2004), men’s outdoor track and field (2005 and 2006), women’s outdoor track and field (2005 and 2006), women’s indoor track and field (2007 and 2008), and women’s golf in 2007.  Since 2003, the Bearkats have earned berths in the NCAA Division I national playoffs in men’s basketball, football, and baseball, and as well as women’s softball.

Sam Houston State University annually draws regional and national media attention through televised athletic contests. Bearkat football and basketball games have been nationally televised on ESPN2 and CBS and regionally televised on Fox Sports Southwest.

As a participant or a fan, there is a lot of excitement for all at Bearkat athletic events!

Bearkat OneCard Services

The Bearkat OneCard is the official ID card of Sam Houston State University. The OneCard is an all-in-one student ID which has been designed to be an efficient, multi-purpose card.  It provides students easy access to University facilities and services. The card can also double as a debit card connected to the OneAccount, a fully functional FDIC-insured checking account. As a MasterCard Debit Card, (NOT A CREDIT CARD) the Bearkat OneCard can be used for purchases at millions of merchants worldwide.

An Active Bearkat OneCard has the following uses:

The Bearkat OneCard serves as the vehicle through which students choose the manner in which they receive financial disbursements from the University. Students set their own preference when activating their Bearkat OneCard online. 

Students have the following options: (1) sending disbursements to the OneAccount (sending to this account is the fastest delivery method) or (2) sending disbursements directly to a third party bank of choice through ACH processing. Federal banking procedures require two to three business days for processing. To obtain a Bearkat OneCard you must

When these steps have been completed, the Bearkat OneCard will be mailed to the address of record.  Upon receipt, the OneCard must be activated at for on campus usage.  At the time of card activation a student can choose to activate the optional, free FDIC-insured, no minimum balance checking account. This debit/checking account has been carefully designed with the needs of students in mind.

The Bearkat OneCard Services staff provides assistance in taking ID photos, activating cards, configuring options, and providing information related to refund disbursements to students. The office also provides passport photos to all faculty, staff, and students free of charge.  For more information, please call (936) 294-2273 or visit


Student Money Management Center (SMMC).

The Student Money Management Center (SMMC) is a financial outreach and educational program administered by the Sam Houston State University Division of Student Services.
The Mission of the Student Money Management Center is to improve the financial well-being of our students by providing the unbiased education, counseling, tools, and solutions students need in order to achieve financial independence.
The Student Money Management Center offers financial literacy outreach to students in the form of seminars and workshops on a number of financial literacy topics, including but not limited to:

The goal of the Student Money Management Center outreach program is for students to:

Contact the Student Money Management Center for more information at (936) 294-2600; or visit the website at

Career Services

The Career Services staff assists students and graduates of Sam Houston State University in their search for employment ideally suited to their interests, skills, academic preparation, and personal aspirations.

Numerous programs and services are offered which provide opportunities for students of all majors to learn about careers and to meet with employers. Specific services include on-campus interviews, a web-based registration, job listing and resume referral service through the “Jobs 4 Kats” program, practice interviews, and individual career counseling. Resume writing, interviewing skills, and the process of searching for a job are taught through regularly scheduled workshops as well as by individual appointment. Career Services sponsors special events such as Teacher Job Fairs (fall and spring semesters), the Career Expo, and the Summer Camp Fair. Career Services also participates in regional career fairs, such as the Texas Job Fair held each spring in Houston, Texas which offers SHSU students and alumni the opportunity to meet with an even larger number of employers.

Career Services offers resources in a variety of formats to assist students in learning about careers and in finding internships, summer jobs, and professional employment.  Designated computer stations are available for students’ use and many free materials such as career magazines, brochures, literature from employers, and handouts on career-related topics are provided as well. Career Services is located on the second floor of Academic Building IV (AB4) in room 210 and is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Further information may be obtained by calling (936) 294-1713 or by visiting


The Communications Office is a significant component of the University Advancement Division, fostering connections and understanding between the University and a range of internal and external constituencies, including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends. As the primary conduit for information with media outlets throughout the state and nation, the office produces and distributes news releases and articles, highlighting the quality of the University’s faculty, students, projects, and programs. The office maintains a comprehensive list of faculty and staff experts, participates in the ProfNet media query service, and, in doing so, is able to provide valuable assistance to local and national media on a broad range of timely topics and news events.

The Communications Office also maintains a strong presence on the Web, which includes news releases, a campus calendar, a listing of campus experts, historical information on the University and General Sam Houston, and the electronic newsletter Today@Sam. For more information, please call (936) 294-1836 or visit Communications on the Web at

Continuing Education

Continuing Education offers non-credit courses for personal and professional development. Classroom courses  include, introduction to various computer software, country and western dance, ballroom dance, Spanish, sign language, varied allied health courses, paralegal, instant piano and guitar, and much more. In addition, over 500 online courses, covering a wide range of subjects, are offered through Continuing Education.  For more information, call (936) 294-4568 or visit and select Continuing Education from the University Fastlinks.

Counseling Center

Counseling Services. The Counseling Center provides a variety of services to enhance student learning and assist students in achieving their academic goals. The Counseling Center is staffed by licensed psychologists, professional counselors, post-doctoral residents, and graduate trainees who provide a confidential setting where students can freely discuss their concerns.  The typical range of services provided includes individual counseling, group counseling, couples counseling, and outreach/preventive education presentations.  Counseling Center services are time limited in nature, and counselors adhere to a brief treatment model. If students require longer term treatment or treatment options that are not available at the Counseling Center, counselors are available for consultation and can provide referral recommendations. Staff members are available to assist students in crisis situations on short notice. Students can receive assistance with a variety of concerns, including adjustment problems, depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, self-esteem, stress management, and many others.  Services are also available for international students who may request assistance in adjusting to life at an American university. Most of the services the Counseling Center provides are free with the exception of some testing or assessment instruments, which are provided at a reasonable cost. All counseling is confidential within the limits of legal and ethical obligations.  

The Counseling Center is located in the North Annex of the Lee Drain Building.  To make an appointment, visit the center or call (936) 294-1720. The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with additional evening hours during the fall and spring semesters.  For more information, including a list of the current semester’s group offerings, visit the Counseling Center website at


Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

The Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) is located in the Counseling Center (Lee Drain North Annex).  The mission of SSD is to provide academic accommodations and auxiliary aids and services for students with disabilities. To apply for services, students must schedule a disability intake appointment with the ADA Coordinator and submit documentation of the disability from a qualified professional.  For additional information on the SSD documentation guidelines and requirements, the procedures for requesting services, and adaptive technology available on campus, students are encouraged to contact the Counseling Center at (936) 294-1720 and/or access the SSD home page at  Office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Students with disabilities may also request registration assistance by calling the Registrar’s Office at (936) 294-1040.


Telecommunication Device for the Deaf (TDD)

TDD locations are as follows with corresponding telephone numbers:

                Office of Student Life: (936) 294-3785
                Counseling Center and Services for Students with Disabilities: (936) 294-3786
                University Police: (936) 294-3787
                Office of Undergraduate Admissions: (936) 294-3788
                Registrar’s Office: (936) 294-3789

Dean of Students’ Office

Through leadership, program, and policy development, the Dean of Students’ Office contributes to the overall intellectual, social, and personal development of the students. The Dean of Students’ Office represents student needs to the University administration, faculty, and departments and also transmits needs of these groups to the students. The office assists students who have questions about any phase of campus life. In an effort to promote individual group development of students, the office co-sponsors educational programs and leadership development workshops.

The professional staff is responsible for the administration of a number of policies and procedures found in Student Guidelines, the student handbook. These include student conduct and judicial processes, and certain provisions of the Family Rights and Privacy Act.

In addition, the Office is responsible for the Students of Concern Team; Co-Curricular Transcript; Bearkat Family Weekend; Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges; the Freshman Leadership Program; Orange Keys Program; Faculty/Student Mentor Program; Bearkat Ongoing Leadership Development Program; Ask The Raven Program; University Parking Appeals; Alpha Lambda Delta, a freshman Honor society; advising the Parents’ Association; and advising the Student Government Association.

The Dean of Students’ Office is located in the Lowman Student Center Suite #215, telephone (936) 294-1785. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Friday, and other times by appointment. Website: /


General Conduct and Campus Regulations

It is expected that all Sam Houston State University students are on campus for serious educational pursuits and that they will conduct themselves so as to preserve an appropriate atmosphere of learning. It is also expected that all students who enroll at Sam Houston State University agree to assume the responsibilities of citizenship in the campus community. While enrolled, students are subject to University authority, which includes the prerogative of dismissing those whose conduct is not within the aims and policies of the University. Students are responsible for abiding by all published University rules and regulations as printed in this catalog, in the student handbook, Student Guidelines, and in other official University publications. Failure to read these publications will not excuse the student from the requirements and regulations described therein. In addition, students should be familiar with House Bill 141 of the 61st Legislature on Disruptive Activities and Senate Bill 24 of the 70th Legislature on Hazing, extracts of which can be found in Student Guidelines.


Student Government Association

The Student Government Association exists for the sole purpose of serving the student community. It is the political voice and liaison for the student body. The University recognizes the need and worthwhile contribution of student input in all facets of the University decision-making processes. The Student Government Association has long been active in this regard and has worked for the betterment of student life and academic quality. The student body participates in the development and management of a well-rounded program of student activities by electing the Student Government Association officers and Student Senators. Each college within the University elects its representatives, the number being determined by the percentage of students majoring in the academic departments within the academic college.

Open meetings are conducted each Tuesday night. Students are encouraged to participate in their student government. Copies of the Student Government Association constitution and other information may be obtained from the Student Government Association Office, which is located in the Lowman Student Center Suite #326. Please call (936) 294-1938 for additional information.

Health Center

The Health Center, located at the corner of Avenue J and Bearkat Boulevard, provides routine health services and education to currently enrolled students. The Health Center is open 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Fridays during the fall and spring semesters. The Health Center is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the summer. Patients may schedule appointments in person or by phone.

The Health Center is equipped with an in-house pharmacy and laboratory providing convenient and affordable access to routine healthcare services.

Students do not incur a cost for an office visit. Fees are charged for laboratory tests, prescription drugs and certain procedures. These charges are due when services are rendered. However, these charges are at discount rates that are often below the market rate.

In addition to medical services, the Health Center offers health education, prevention programs, and general health information. Students with questions about any health issue are encouraged to contact the Health Center.

The Health Center prides itself in its accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).  Accreditation means that the department’s operations meet or exceed rigorous standards of quality.  This provides students with extra assurance that the department is maintaining high standards and ensuring quality care.

In the case of on-campus medical emergencies, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) should be called. Persons experiencing a serious or potentially life threatening medical condition should seek medical attention at Huntsville Memorial Hospital.

Information regarding student health insurance is available through the Health Center. The student policy is mandatory for international students unless clear proof of equivalent insurance coverage is provided. Please visit the Health Center’s website at or call (936) 294-1805 for more information.

Human Resources

The Human Resources Department provides services in the areas of employee benefits, employee relations, staffing, records, staff wage and salary administration, equal employment opportunity/affirmative action, civil rights compliance, risk management, and employee development/training. It is University policy that all human resources functions be conducted in a fair and equitable manner without discrimination toward any protected class under state and federal civil rights laws and regulations.

The Human Resources Department is located in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Building, Suite 410. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The telephone number is (936) 294-1066. For current staff job openings, call the Job Information Line at (936) 294-1067. Job openings for faculty and staff positions can be accessed on the Human Resources website:

Student Employment

Information about student job opportunities and applications for student employment may be obtained from Career Services located in Academic Building IV. Career Services is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The telephone number is (936) 294-1713, the website is

International Programs, Office of

The Office of International Programs (OIP) promotes, fosters, encourages, and coordinates international activities at Sam Houston State University. Such activities include the recruitment and retention of international students, the administration of study abroad programs for SHSU faculty and students, and assistance to international visitors to the campus. The OIP also oversees the English Language Institute.

The OIP is active in the recruitment of international students to the University. Its staff handles paperwork for all international students to be in compliance with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) rules and regulations. The OIP serves as a primary contact for international students when they first apply and continues to serve in that capacity throughout their stay at the University.

Sam Houston State University offers opportunities for study abroad through university exchange agreements and affiliated study abroad programs such as American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS). In recent years, SHSU faculty members have led study abroad courses/programs in countries such as Belize, Botswana, China, Costa Rica, England, France, Italy, Mexico, Poland, Russia, and Spain.

Visit or call the Office of International Programs in the Farrington Building, Room 116, or telephone (936) 294-4737.  Information is also available at the website Mailing address: Office of International Programs, Sam Houston State University, 1908 Avenue J, Box 2150, Huntsville, TX 77340-2150.


Maintaining F-1 Student Visa Status

-U.S. Government Requirements for All F-1 Students-
It is the student’s responsibility to follow USCIS rules and regulations in order to maintain a valid F-1 student status.

Students should maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements. A passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future.

Students can only attend the school listed on their current I-20. To attend another school, the student must transfer to that school (obtain approval on a new I-20) or receive a concurrent enrollment letter from an International Student Advisor.

Students must complete an I-20 transfer whenever changing schools. An I-20 transfer (not the same as transferring academic credit) must be completed within 30 days of the beginning of classes of the first semester at the new school. For an I-20 transfer to be complete, an International Student Advisor from the OIP must process the new I-20 through the USCIS.

International students should maintain full-time student status each spring and/or fall semester. To maintain F-1 student visa status, undergraduate students must complete at least 12 semester credit hours and graduate students must complete at least 9 semester credit hours each spring and/or fall semester. Students are not required by USCIS to enroll in classes during the summer session, unless summer session is the first semester in the U.S. If students need to drop below full-time hours, they are required to make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor BEFORE dropping any classes.

Apply for an extension of an I-20 thirty days before the expiration date. Only the OIP can endorse an extension of an I-20 but it must be done within the 30-day period before the expiration date.

Obtain a new I-20 whenever making a change in degree levels or majors. This includes changing levels at the same school or a new one (e.g., bachelor’s to master’s degree) or beginning a new degree at the same level (e.g., master’s degree to a 2nd master’s).

Never work off-campus unless a valid authorization has come from an International Student Advisor and/or the USCIS. To work off-campus, an employment endorsement from the OIP has to be on page 3 of the I-20 or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) must be obtained from the USCIS. All off-campus employment has a beginning and ending date. If a student works even one day before or after their authorization, the student will be out of status. On-campus employment does not require specific authorization from the USCIS, but the student must maintain full-time student status. On-campus work is limited to 20 hours or less per week during the fall and spring semesters and may be full-time during the summer or between semester breaks.

Obtain a travel endorsement on page 3 of an I-20 before leaving the U.S. This will be needed if re-entry into the U.S. is wanted.

Willful failure to maintain health insurance at the required level will be considered a violation of status.

A student may apply for Optional Practical Training up to 60 days after graduation. (Contact the OIP to schedule an appointment for further instructions.)

Change of Address. Any student in F-1 or other non-immigrant status in the U.S. is required to report his or her address to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within ten (10) days of the change of address. Students must also report changes of address to the OIP, which will make the change in the SEVIS online database, as well as in the SHSU database. To change your address on-line, go to

Lowman Student Center

The Lowman Student Center (LSC), conveniently located at the center of campus, offers several dining options and a variety of meeting facilities and services. The University bookstore is located on the second floor, along with the Art Gallery and Information Center.  The LSC also houses the Kat Klub entertainment center, a spacious ballroom, theater, and sixteen conference rooms.  The LSC provides wireless computer access throughout the building, as well as computer work stations on the first and second floors. An ATM and a copy machine are located on the first floor. Stop by the 3rd floor atrium and pick up a book from the LSC Share a Book program. Students may consider joining one of the many organizations that meet in the Lowman Student Center. By getting involved and connected, students may gain the opportunity to meet other students with similar interests, make new friends, gain valuable leadership experiences, and make better grades.

For additional information, contact the Lowman Student Center staff at (936) 294-1759 or visit the website at

Public Safety Services

University Police

University Police Officers are licensed peace officers as defined under the laws of the State of Texas and thereby have the authority of peace officers. Their primary jurisdiction, under H.B. 391, includes all counties in which property is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise under the control of Sam Houston State University.

The University Police Officers subscribe to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, a portion of which reads, “As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all citizens to liberty, equality, and justice.” In this endeavor, the University Police earnestly solicit the support of the faculty, staff, and students. Many officers are students thus providing a balance within Public Safety Services from a student’s perspective.

In addition to University regulations, all the general and criminal laws of the State and the United States are declared to be in full force and effect within the properties of Sam Houston State University. All persons are responsible for compliance with these laws.

All thefts, vehicle accidents, or other offenses that occur on campus should be reported immediately to the University Police. The University Police Building is located at 2424 Sam Houston Avenue (Sam South Complex) —Telephone number (936) 294-1794. Police Officers are on duty 24 hours every day. The Business Office hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Visit the website at


Campus Safety

Sam Houston State University offers a variety of services to promote a safe campus environment. The campus is equipped with emergency call boxes stationed at strategic locations throughout the campus to include parking lots, walkways, and residence halls. Additionally, the University Police provide staff to escort students not wishing to walk alone at night to and from campus buildings and parking lots. Students wishing to learn more about personal safety and self defense may take advantage of programs offered by the University Police Department. For more information, call (936) 294-1794.

In addition, the University Police Department is a participant with the KatSafe Emergency Notification System.  In the event of an emergency where the campus community needs to have vital information, an alert will be sent out using this program.  The alert provides information via telephone, email, and text messaging.  To register for this program login to SamWeb, select KatSafe, and enter your contact information.


Parking Permits

Students, full or part-time, who operate or expect to operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or motor-assisted cycle on University property, regularly or occasionally, are REQUIRED to register the vehicle with the Department of Public Safety Services and obtain a parking decal assigning a designated color area for parking. The University reserves the right to require proof of ownership of the vehicle being registered. A Parking and Traffic Regulations and Information pamphlet governs the operation of motor vehicles, is issued with each parking permit, and is available in administrative offices. Failure to read the regulations is not an excuse for failure to comply with the regulations.

Recreational Sports and Activities

The Department of Recreational Sports and Activities offers broad-based recreational programming in the areas of Intramural Sports, Informal Recreation, Aquatics, Club Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Wellness, and Special Events. Facilities managed by the Department of Recreational Sports and Activities include the Health and Kinesiology Center (which houses four basketball courts, two multi-purpose rooms, 1/8-mile indoor running track, ten racquetball courts, weight room, and courts for badminton, volleyball, and pickleball). The recreation facility includes a 34’ climbing wall, boulder, a 10,000 square foot weight room, and an outdoor heated swimming pool. Additional facility responsibilities include eight outdoor tennis courts, two outdoor sand volleyball courts, Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum, a 345-acre university campsite, three athletic fields used primarily for Intramural Sports, and the Pritchett Field Complex which includes two athletic fields surrounded by an outdoor running track of ¼ of a mile in length.

The Intramural Sports program offers a variety of team, dual, and individual sports, which includes leagues for those with a competitive motivation, and a recreational league for those simply enjoying the sport for participatory reasons. The Intramural Sports program is comprised of three divisions - men’s, women’s, and co-recreational. The Informal Recreational Program is designed to offer opportunities in self-directed recreational pursuits. Informal “free play” is an ideal alternative for those not interested in team affiliation or the commitment needed for club sports. The Outdoor Recreation program offers an extensive outdoor recreation rental program (tents, canoes, etc.) and a trips program (such as backpacking the Big Bend or snow skiing in Colorado). The Club Sports program accommodates individuals who have an interest in competitive sports such as soccer, volleyball, and rugby. The Wellness Program offers a wide variety of interactive programs promoting a positive personal lifestyle. The department also offers special events such as concerts, block parties, and fun days.

The department provides numerous employment opportunities for students who are interested in part-time work. Over 400 student positions are filled annually in the areas of intramural officiating, facility supervision, aquatics, and special events assistants.

The informal relationships which are established through involvement in sport and recreational activities are an integral part of a student’s life. The Department of Recreational Sports and Activities invites students to become active participants in one or more of the various forms of leisure time activities available. For information pertaining to any of these Recreational Sports activities, stop by the administrative offices located on the first floor of the Recreation Complex, call (936) 294-1985, or visit the Recreational Sports and Activities website at

Residence Life

Residence Halls

The University operates over thirty residence halls, small houses, and apartment complexes, including a small house (capacity 30 residents) for juniors, seniors, graduates, and nontraditional students (24 years of age or older) and one honors house. A brochure which includes complete details of the housing program at Sam Houston State University, including information regarding specific residence halls, applicable rates, and policies, is available upon acceptance from the Department of Residence Life, Box 2416, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas 77341. Additional information may be obtained by calling the Department of Residence Life at (936) 294-1812.

A student is required to be enrolled in the University each semester, including summer, in order to reside in university housing.

A housing application/contract is available online from for those students who have been accepted to the University. A room deposit of $200 is required with the application for housing. Assignments are made on a space-available basis according to the date of deposit. Prior to the beginning of a semester, the student will be mailed information regarding the appropriate arrival and check-in hours, as well as other information. The contract will be in effect and must be adhered to for the academic year.

Should a student become unable to fulfill the reservation, refunds may be made under certain conditions. Please refer to the terms and conditions of the contract for specific details regarding refunds, which are determined by the dates cancellations are received.

Payment for housing may be made in full at registration or in three installments. The balance of rent or one-half of the balance is due during academic registration. Additional installments are due prior to the sixth and eleventh class weeks. Rent for summer terms is due in full at academic registration and a late fee of $10 is charged on all payments received after established deadlines.

University residence halls are closed during Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break.


Sam Houston State University Bearkat Village I and II Apartments

The University maintains two-bedroom, fully furnished apartments, located on Bowers Blvd. across from Bowers Stadium, for upperclassmen. All residents must be enrolled in the University while residing in the apartments.


Food Services

The University currently provides four meal plans. Payment for meal plans may be made in full at registration or in three installments. The installments are one-half at registration and the balance in two equal payments prior to the sixth and eleventh class week, respectively. Also available is the Bearkat Express plan which may be opened upon payment of an initial deposit with meal charges deducted as usage occurs. Money deposited into the Bearkat Express account is nonrefundable.

All students are encouraged to take advantage of meal plans. Meal service begins the day the residence halls open and continues through final examinations. ARAMARK manages the campus food service and offers Café Belvin plus several other campus dining facilities.

Rates and detailed information may be obtained from the Department of Residence Life, Box 2416, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas 77341, by calling (936) 294-1812, or by visiting


Summer Housing and Food Services

Summer accommodations vary from year to year because of renovation and maintenance schedules. Rooms in large residence halls and small houses for single students usually are open for summer school students. Assignments are made according to date of deposit.

The Bearkat Express plan is also available during summer sessions. Additional information concerning the summer food plan may be obtained from the Department of Residence Life.

Safety Office

The Safety Office is responsible for administering safety programs designed to assure a safe and healthful campus environment for all students, faculty, and staff. These programs include fire, health, hazardous waste and occupational safety, as well as safety audits and investigations of any unsafe conditions or safety hazards reported within the campus community. Any person noting a safety hazard on the University campus is urged to report the condition to the Safety Coordinator as soon as possible by calling (936) 294-1921. The Safety Office is located in the Sam South Complex, Physical Plant Administration offices, Room 132, 2424 Sam Houston Avenue, Huntsville, TX 77341.

Sam Houston Memorial Museum

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum, established in 1936 as a Texas centennial project, is an integral part of Sam Houston State University and is dedicated to preserving the memory of General Sam Houston (1793-1863). A soldier, statesman and politician, the only man to serve as governor of two states and president of an independent republic, Sam Houston led the fight for Texas’ independence and then served Texas as President, U.S. Senator, and Governor. Located on fifteen acres, the museum complex preserves three fully furnished original Houston buildings - Woodland Home, Steamboat House, and Law Office - as well as a kitchen, blacksmith shop, and other exhibit structures. The Memorial Museum Building houses the major collection of Houston memorabilia and exhibits. The Katy & E. Don Walker, Sr. Education Center is named for a distinguished alumnus of Sam Houston State University and his wife and provides auditorium, classroom, and meeting spaces, as well as a gallery for traveling exhibits and ‘Wigwam Neosho’ - the museum store and gift shop. The museum offers many educational opportunities for Sam Houston State University students. These include semester-length internships, part-time student employment, tours, and research and writing programs using archives, manuscripts and artifacts.

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums. Accreditation certifies that a museum operates according to standards set forth by the museum profession, manages its collections responsibly and provides quality services of museum visitors.

The museum complex is located at the corner of Sam Houston Avenue and 19th Street and can be reached by calling (936) 294-1832 or by visiting the website at

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center is the University’s in-house printing and copying facility. It provides year-round service for students, faculty, and staff of Sam Houston State University. Copying, binding, fax services, and printing services are offered to students and student organizations.

Sam Houston Press & Copy Center is located on the first floor of the Thomason Building. The facility is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For information or to arrange an appointment for placing an order, call (936) 294-1856.

Sam Shuttle

For information about shuttle services, please refer to the SHSU website at

Student Activities

The Department of Student Activities provides leadership and advisement to Program Council, over 200 student organizations, Orange Pride Dance Team, co-ed and all-girl cheerleaders, mascots, Greek life, multicultural and international student services, and volunteer services. The department, located in the Lowman Student Center, offers quality programs and services that embrace a student development philosophy and provides an environment conducive to learning through involvement in co-curricular activities. Campus leadership training programs for student groups, University-wide student programs, and the University’s master calendar of activities are included in the department’s responsibilities.


Multicultural and International Student Services

The Office of Multicultural and International Student Services is committed to providing students with a variety of cross-cultural experiences. The office assists all facets of the University in matters dealing with diversity, international and cultural issues. Students, faculty and staff who participate in the programs offered have the opportunity to experience mentoring, retention and leadership development programs enhanced by cultural understanding. The Office of Multicultural and International Student Services contributes to the University’s diverse nature by providing information relative to the ethnic and international population and provides a means to encourage and support the ethnic and international student body in meeting their particular needs and concerns.


Program Council

Many opportunities for personal involvement and professional experience are available to students through Program Council, the student programming board that creates and sponsors a variety of events and activities on campus. Program Council receives a portion of Student Services fees to provide campus films, concerts, lectures, cultural events, comedians and many more opportunities for fun, recreation, and relaxation. Membership is open to any student interested in the opportunity to develop leadership skills, to participate in presenting campus programs and to meet other students with similar interests. Distinguished speakers, top quality performing artists and cultural events provide co-curricular and informal education experiences in an effort to make free-time activities a cooperative factor in education.


Student Organizations

A wide array of student organizations provide students with an opportunity to become involved in campus life. Organizations are grouped in the following categories: academic, cultural, programming, recreational, spiritual, service, social fraternity, social sorority and special interest. Information regarding University-registered organizations is available from the Department of Student Activities in the Lowman Student Center. University registration is renewed each fall and spring semester; therefore, the listings are subject to change.

Student Services

The role of the Division of Student Services is to complement the total educational mission of the University by providing opportunities for students to develop and grow in an academic environment. This is accomplished by offering quality programs and emphasizing an holistic approach in co-curriculum involvement. Studies indicate that learning occurs in an environment conducive to social, recreational, educational, and intellectual interaction. A variety of student service programs are designed to foster such interaction with students, faculty, staff, and the University community. The goal of the division is to contribute to the learning experiences of SHSU students, helping them to become educated, enlightened, and empowered so they can achieve and contribute as productive citizens in their college, community, and country.

The Office of the Vice President for Student Services provides administrative leadership, supervision, and coordination for the Division of Student Services. The division includes the following departments: Bearkat OneCard Services and the Student Money Management Center; Counseling Center and Services for Students with Disabilities; Dean of Students’ Office; Health Center; Lowman Student Center; Student Activities; Recreational Sports and Activities; and Students’ Legal and Mediation Services. Visit the website at

Students’ Legal and Mediation Services

The Students’ Legal and Mediation Services Office is located in the Counseling Center (North Annex of the Lee Drain Building). The students’ legal advisor has scheduled hours that allow students with various schedules to easily obtain an appointment by calling (936) 294-1717. Brochures concerning specific legal issues are also available for registered students.

The advisor often helps students with legal problems by guiding them through self-help procedures and providing written materials concerning their legal issues. By guiding the student through the procedures required in administrative and judicial proceedings, it is anticipated that the student will be able to effectively deal with these problems currently and in the future. However, when the problem is of such a nature that legal representation is immediately needed, referral to several practicing attorneys in that area of law is made.

All matters between the students’ legal advisor and the student are confidential. Some areas of student concern are landlord/tenant issues, consumer protection, insurance, crime, family law, traffic tickets, automobile accidents, and employee rights.

University Advancement

The University Advancement Division is responsible for enhancing the visibility and image of Sam Houston State University. The primary goal is to attract significant private support and, in the process, create a growing awareness of the University’s quality by prospective students and their parents. The division seeks to achieve its goal through a range of comprehensive activities that will build strengthened relationships between the University and its various publics and to present a compelling case for involvement with and support of SHSU.

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum development, alumni relations, public relations, marketing, and advancement services comprise the advancement division. In discharging its responsibilities, the division conducts the following activities: publications, alumni affairs, media and public relations, web-based communications, marketing, annual giving, major gifts, planned gifts, and donor relations.

The University must increasingly rely on gifts from its alumni, friends, and parents to bridge the gap between what tuition, fees, and state support provide and what is necessary to fund first-rate programs. To this end, the University has launched its first ever capital campaign, with a goal of $50 million.

For additional information about supporting the University through an annual, capital campaign, or planned gift, please contact the division at (936) 294-3625 or Box 2537, Huntsville, TX 77341-2537. Donors wishing to make a gift with a credit card can go online at


Alumni Association

Located in the John R. Ragsdale Visitor & Alumni Center, the Office of Alumni Relations is a vibrant and growing part of the University Advancement Division and provides the support and direction for the Alumni Association. The alumni program is an important part of an integrated advancement effort to inform and engage students, graduates, former students, and friends of the University.

The Alumni Association exists to support and promote the University and represents the interests of over 87,000 alumni. The association’s programs and activities are developed and planned in consultation with an alumni board of directors. The association sponsors distinguished alumni and alumni service awards programs, homecoming, tailgate parties, an SHSU Alumni Association credit card, area alumni gatherings, newsletters, scholarships, student programs, merchandising, and the senior class ring program.

Regular membership is open to all graduates and former students of Sam Houston State University.  Associate memberships are open to non-alumni friends. For additional information, please call (936) 294-1841 or (800) 283-7478, or visit the Alumni Association on the web at

The University must increasingly rely on private giving from its alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations to close the gap between what tuition, fees, and state support to offer quality programs. More than 6,500 alumni and friends contribute to the University’s scholarships, colleges, departments, and other programs.

The University is in its first capital campaign in the University’s history. A significant priority is to increase endowments for scholarships, faculty and staff development, student programs, and the five colleges.

For additional information about providing support for the University through an annual, capital, or planned gift, please contact University Advancement at (936) 294-3625 or Box 2537, Huntsville, TX 77341-2537. Donors wishing to make a gift with a credit card can go online to

University Hotel

The University Hotel and the George J. Beto Conference Center are conveniently located on the Northeast corner of campus at Bearkat Boulevard and Bobby K. Marks Drive. The University Hotel offers meeting space, dining accommodations, an exercise and fitness facility, and 89 comfortably furnished guest rooms. SSD accessible rooms are available upon request. Children 18 years of age and under stay free with parents in the same room. All rooms have two double beds, coffee maker, iron, ironing board, room safe, mini fridge, free wifi connection, and many more amenities. For additional information or to make reservations, please call (936) 291-2151, or fax (936) 294-1683. Website: